Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

World's most expensive piece of tin...and hands in unmentionable places....

I vowed earlier this year to become more interesting and stop writing about our car troubles. I also have been trying to stay positive and not sweat the little things, but two things changed that. The flat tire at 6:30 am this morning, and the fact that my husband just came home covered in manure after having his hand up the backside of a cow for the better part of the morning.

At the moment I am teetering on the brink...the car's broken down more times than I can count in the last few weeks and it seems the sole purpose of my paycheck is to pay the bar tabs of the mechanics on this island. We've gone through at least six or seven and I know all of them by name. I often see them at Garfields which is how I know I am paying their bar tabs. To date six out of the seven are incompetent and only one seems to be abel to fix our car without breaking something else. After a very hefty bill last week he let us know we needed new brakes , of course we do, but instead of paying him we found out just how long we could go before they gave out...approximately two weeks to a month. So new brakes are penciled in the week I have my next prenatal exam....Safe no, but I just couldn't fork over anymore money into the worlds most expensive piece of tin.


Now as for my husband smelling like manure wouldn't be so bad except we have no hot water at the moment and the recently repaired washing machine is now averaging a 3 hour wash time per load. At the moment I am worn out with the trials and tribulations of island life that seem to be reigning down on us this month. Its hot, nothing works and and I am six and a half months pregnant and the drivers side door to my car now won't open since the mechanic "fixed" it and I sometimes have to crawl across the passenger side to get in and out. That is a site no one needs to see.

I know I'll laugh about this one day. It may even be tomorrow, but at the moment I work to pay incompetent mechanics and I don't want to hold my husbands hand....Here's to a better tomorrow and a well deserved glass of wine come late December!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it can really suck sometimes being pregnant on the island. Like where the hell is a DQ when you need one?!

    I broke down many times due to the little things that become a major pain in the ass (traipsing to 6 different pharmacies in one day for a shot that I needed. When I burst into tears in front of the lady at the hospital in town, she finally took pity on me and called around to locate the medication).

    Hang in there! One day, you will be nostalgic for all this (but that may be in the far far future ;)).

    ReplyDelete