Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Going to Make a Baby

View from our window. I'll miss it over the next few weeks.

There is an expression in Grenada that locals use that had me thoroughly confused the first few times I was asked. For the last few weeks people in the grocery store, in the bank, etc...have asked me "where I am going to make my baby?"

I was pretty confused and thought can't they see that parts already been done???  Its been cooking for awhile now...but finally the penny dropped and I realized they meant where am I going to deliver the baby. After weighing the pro's and con's of delivery in the States and delivery in Grenada we decided on a stateside deliver (well baring any in flight activity) mainly due to the fact that the timing worked out well for delivery in the states. If John could not be with me I would tough it out on an island with no drugs because having my husband there was not an option for me drugs or no drugs. But as he can, we decided first baby we'll have in the US and forgo the Grenada passport. This baby is possibly entitled to 3 passports (don't tell the US govt) and 4 would really just be greedy.

The medical care in Grenada while different has been good, but I feel a bit safer knowing that if their is a complication we are in a place that is a bit better equipped to handle an emergency.

I find I have to be careful when answering this question though because it is really insulating when you hear people openly voice "oh my god I would never have my baby here" well there is a whole island full of people who were born here and survived and thrived so while the medical care may not be what I was used to it works, and the doctors and lab techs I have seen have all been very nice, very professional and taken good care of me and baby Clark. They deserve a special thanks!

To avoid sounding like a spoiled ex-pat I've hemmed and hawed and tried to say in the most diplomatic fashion why we aren't "making" the baby in Grenada and the other day I blurted out well really I just want to be close to my mom. Then it hit me.

Mom + Rach. Wonder if these genes will carry through and we'll have another mini me!


I am 32 years old and I still want my mom. Oh, my god this is for life they don't grow up and go away. Its 32 years later and I am still dependent on my mother and don't want to do this without her. In fact John and I never seem to go away. We boomerang back into our parents households for weeks at a time seeking respite from our nomadic lifestyle in the two places we know we can relax and unwind. Home. Be it Malawi or Virginia there is nothing like going home to momma.

John and his Mum!


When Baby Clark makes his/her entrance I'll have my mom by my side. Sadly John will not as logistically it was tough to work out. I know he'll miss having his mum there. I'll miss her, but I hope she knows she is an integral part of this process and the love and support she sends us can be felt across oceans, time zones and continents.

Hope this baby looks like its grandmothers. That will be one good looking baby!

So, when I leave tomorrow to go and "make" this baby I leave knowing that when this little guy or girl arrives our commitment is for the long haul. I hope I can raise this baby with the same grace, patience, love understanding and forgiveness that our mom's were able to raise John and I with. I also hope in 32 years time he or she will still want us by their side as they await one of life's biggest occasions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment