Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nesting without a Nest

I keep getting e-mails from Baby Center and What to Expect when you are Expecting that seem to think I should have the nursery complete, my bag packed and my birth announcements addressed and ready to slot a picture in and send out as soon as the baby arrives. As I just got back stateside, have a husband in another country and feel very much in limbo at the moment I have not done any of the aforementioned tasks. I now delete these e-mails as they stress me out. I was telling my brother last night that I feel very unsettled and restless, and his theory was I am trying to nest, but have no nest. I think he's probably right...But as there is nothing I can do about it I'll just delete e-mails telling me I am already behind the eight-ball and stop feeling like I am already a bad parent.  My approach if I don't see them then they don't exists....this behavior reminds me of an Ostrich sticking its head in the sand....and at the moment I am buried deep.

Had a laugh today when I did go on some birth announcement site (and was immediately overwhelmed so had to leave) that this is the ONLY time in life where it is acceptable and expected to send out ones height and weight with a half naked picture of oneself. If someone did that to me now, I would hunt them down to the ends of the earth and "discipline" them. In Zambia discipline generally meant kill....the guides used this term when referring to a troubling baboon that needed to be taken care of. Anyway, needless to say I would be murderous if such an announcement was released. Particulary today, when I weighed in at the doctors office and the nurse said I had gained 8 lbs since last week...Almost had a coronary on the spot until we realized 6 of those lbs where my cowboy boots. I'll blame the other pound on scale discrepancy between Grenada and the US, but at the moment I am liking the scale in Grenada much better.


Well regardless of weight issues and the fact I have no nursery set up yet, no pre labeled birth announcements, and a husband thousands of miles away, I am going to ignore all these facts and take bump over to Baltimore for the weekend to visit two individuals more irresponsible than myself. My brothers!

No comments:

Post a Comment