Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

Marriage Mishap

 Grenada Market
I am currently writing with lips that feel 3 times their normal size and every orifice of my body burning....My eyes, nose and even the pores on my hands are on fire. Seems I had my first married mishap in the kitchen. I decided to make chicken fajitas for dinner because they are cheap and delicious, and being the cheapo I am I refuse to pay $8 US dollars for a bell pepper in the grocery store so, I use local Grenadian seasoning peppers as a substitute.

All is going well  and I am enjoying cooking and chatting to Johno while he tells me about his day, and we're doing our normal pre-dinner ritual, which I am told will last until the first young Clark appears, and then we'll snarl at each other and fight over where to order take-out from, but at the moment we're newlyweds and there is no take-out in Grenada so we do our little ritual and behave like smug newlyweds with no kids. As we chat I am chopping away and thinking the seasoning peppers look like they are going off so I better use the whole packet. I continue cooking and chatting and as a side note this potentially could have happened as I had a few glasses of wine on the beach with "Living the dream Kathy" today (we are after all Caribbean Housewives/girlfriends in training) but I'll blame the grocery store for misrepresentation of produce instead. Can't possibly be my white wine habit (for all of you judging, it's Independence Day in Grenada, and it's the Caribbean and that's what housewives do here, for all of you not judging but jealous I recommend you move here ASAP and meet the Trini housewives for a crash course in FUN).

Married Bliss or Smug Marrieds

Anyway cut to dinner and my husband turns red and chokes and starts gasping for water. About two bites later I am doing the same. I swear steam is coming out of our ears. I then make the genius remark that the jalapeno I put in must be really strong (I have had a few glasses of wine remember) . We then really start to sweat and John is frantically bashing the bag of ice on the floor, filling the Brita and then pouring before it's even filled, and we are both downing water faster than you would think humanly possible. It's then I realize those peppers weren't seasoning peppers but scotch bonnet peppers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet_%28pepper%29  and I had cooked with no less than 7 in our fajitas.



After our mouths begin to recover our noses, eyes and every body part we've touched begin to sting. I ask my mom what to do. She says try drinking and soaking in milk, but I didn't make milk day in Grenada last week so we're out of luck til Thurdsay when the container comes back in.

Maybe I need a few more lessons in Caribbean Housewifehood as I don't think unintentionally poisoning your husband is on the syllabus, but I am only a trainee and Kathy and I do excel in wine drinking.

Suzie, I'll pass by you for cooking lessons this week!


Kathy, Me and Suzie (the trainees and the master!)

No comments:

Post a Comment